As a marketing and branding consultant, a cornerstone of every project we take on is market research and analysis. This case study explores internal analysis in strategic management for a print and mail management company in the manufacturing sector.
The client is a 70+year-old printing company with core markets in publishing and marketing communications. Their printing capabilities include a wide range of production services such as offset, digital and large-format printing.
The research objectives were to perform a full core capabilities audit and identify gaps in workflow communication, operational procedures and profitability.
APPROACH & METHODOLOGY
As the project was extensive and comprehensive, data collection methods included:
- Conducting case interviews with senior management and sales/ sales support staff.
- Fieldwork to understand production departments and core facilities.
- Perusing ISO-certified process documentation.
- Studying CRM data and sales reports for the past 3 years including sales staff performance, key clients and average value of each job.
- Performing desk research on the printing industry market data and competition.
A variety of tools such as a profitability framework, ABC analysis, SWOT analysis, strategy canvas and other quantitative and qualitative analysis were performed to develop the initial hypothesis of critical issues. Subsequently, solutions were developed and recommended.
DELIVERABLES & KPI
The client was provided with a set of strategic recommendations based on data compiled and analysed. The recommendations cover three main areas including inter-department workflow communication improvements, cost efficiency and marketing.
Implementation was carried out in stages supported by organisational change management activities to ensure buy-in from all levels of the enterprise.
From a branding perspective, the company was revitalised from a traditional printing company to a modern design, print & digital company. Direct sales impact included:
- Website traffic increased by 500%
- Inquiries increased by 125%
- Sales conversions increased from 30% to 60%
INTERNAL ANALYSIS IN STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
If you are a B2B business in the manufacturing sector looking to increase your profitability, contact us below for professional insight on how we can help.